Thursday, April 17, 2008

Inside


Last night I watched the best horror movie I have seen this decade. Yes, you read that right, decade. It has been slim pickings for several years now in terms of horror movies. I don't like, nor am I interested in, "spooky" Japanese horror movies, American remakes of "spooky" Japanese horror movies, watered-down PG-13 Hollywood horror, torture/sadistic trap movies, freaky accident movies, or atmospheric twist ending movies. I like hardcore, balls-to-the-walls, gory, relentless, nihilistic horror! Also, in an ideal world I don't want any supernatural elements involved. No monsters, no magic powers, no demonic possession, no seeing of dead people, etc. I like to see fucked up people doing fucked up things to people only slightly less fucked up than they are. Well, I finally got what I wanted.

But wait. Doesn't Johnson love The Devil's Rejects? Yes he does. But, in the end, it is a tribute film more than anything else. It is an homage to 70's horror. I love it but the movie I am about to mention is completely original, not an homage. That movie, my friends, is Inside.

Inside is a French film that deals with the horrors experienced by a pregnant woman living alone. I am not going to tell you anymore about the story than that. I went into this movie knowing nothing. I hadn't even seen a trailer. Not knowing what to expect made the experience that much more intense. This movie is not for the faint of heart or the weak of stomach. If your girlfriend gets scared by bullshit like The Eye then, for Christ's sake don't let her watch this! It is relentless, hardcore, gory, and nihilistic. If you are a horror fan, go rent this movie . . . NOW!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Toothman, have you seen OLDBOY yet? It's a Korean flick with one MOTHER of a twist and it's pretty freaky to boot. Just rent it and tell me what you think.

That's some COOOOOOOOL shit, Tooth!