Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I hate downloading

I was just listening to an interview with the legendary writer/director Paul Schrader. In it, he talks about his beliefs about the direction movies are headed in the future. He mentions that DVDs will go away in three to four years and be replaced with downloading. I sure hope not. I have never embraced music downloading. To me, downloading music just isn't the same as buying an actual album. When I buy an album I feel that I now own something tangible. It has artwork, a case, and liner notes that were all printed and made to be the way the band intended. When I download an album, what exactly do I have? An intangible file on my computer. No thanks. That is not what I want to spend my money on.

With movies it is even more personal to me. I like cool packaging. I like seeing the actual movie case sitting on my shelf with the actual artwork on it. I don't want to download a movie and burn it onto a blank Blu Ray. I want to go to the store and buy a movie. Period. I really don't care to have thieving teenagers dictate to me how I buy my movies. If anyone in the home video industry stumbles across this article, please remember that there are millions of us who want a real, authorized, honest-to-god copy of a movie on DVD or Blu Ray. Downloading is bullshit. It's fine if you want to sell movies to kids and techies that way but us regular movie fans want real, tangible copies available at the store.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, brother.

Anonymous said...

Amen to that! Just as I love getting a cd or dvd. I have to get the packaging. I want to look at the art work and read the liner notes. Hell, it's even more fun when it's an actual lp!